Friday, September 3, 2010

The Summer Blehs

The other day Oscar shook his head "no" for the first time.  But, at month 16.5, I've still never heard him utter the word.  Because he's such an agreeable, compliant child, yes?  No.

Around the time Oscar turned fourteen months, a couple of things happened.  First, he had an awesome explosion of language and understanding--I'm sure he acquired at least one new word a day.  Second, he began to display a shocking desire for independence.  Sort of.  He also became even more than usually clingy.  Mmmhmmm...so you want me to hold you at face level while you bite and hit me.  For four minutes of every five in the day I hear, "mum mum...mum mum?" and see two little arms jammed straight up in the air.  As soon as I lift him up, he's pushing me away, wriggling for freedom again.  Well, that's an exaggeration.  Sometimes he wants to hug, bless him.  And sometimes he wants me to hold him up at the front window while we wait for every bus, garbage truck, and delivery vehicle with a route in our neighborhood to drive past and back again.  At least my arms are toned.  He has a well-stocked, very spacious playroom that is gated off.  This is a safe place to leave him when I have some task to perform.  I guess he prefers company.  Or an open floor plan.  If I leave him playing alone for long (for three seconds on bad days) he stands at the gate and wails at me.  Until I come back.  No matter how long that takes.  One day he fell asleep that way!  He has always been a little high-maintenance (which I attribute to G's genes, naturally) but now he is making the pharaohs look like tour guides for a walk in the park.  When did my dear little benevolent dictator turn into an absolute tyrant?  I consulted my oracle, the Google, for clues to this mysterious change, theorizing an Invasion of the Body Snatchers scenario.  I was forced to conclude something far more mundane:  he has entered his "Terrible Twos."  (Here's hoping that an early entree means an early exit.)

But back to the independence thing.  One of the hallmarks of this "first adolescence," as one author called it, is a propensity to say "no." Over.  And over.  Again.  As I mentioned, we have thus far escaped this decidedly uncharming trait...or have we?  It's not that he never answers in the negative.  On the contrary.  But instead of saying "no" he says "bleh."  It all started out with food.  Before he had any real words at all, he would say "ummmm" when he tasted something he liked.  Not too long after that, if he tasted something he didn't like, he would say "bleh."  Isn't that so cute?  We thought it was adorable.  Then he started to use "bleh" to say he was finished with whatever he was eating, whether he liked it or not. Then "bleh" for I don't want that, and "please" for I do.  (Do you want some banana?  Bleh? or please?)  We found these usages helpful.  But soon there was too much of a good thing.  Far too much.  Choosing a story at bedtime:  I hold up each title and he says a languid "bleh" to each one.  Time to change his pants:  he runs through the house, a staccato "bleh bleh bleh" with each step.  Trying to put him in his high chair at mealtime:  he tenses and thrashes about, with a resolute "bleh!"  I guess you get the idea.

When he shook his head "bleh" the other day, I realized it may not be long until we hear a bonafide "no."  And then I'll probably long for those lovely summer days filled with "bleh."

1 comment:

  1. 'Bleh'! I love it. He reminds me of Damon. You're only reprieve will be the blessing of friends his age next door in 2 years. Good luck until then.

    ReplyDelete